Life and the way it unfolds will forever remain interesting.
I mean looking back now at the times when I was a child when I used to play at being the teacher. You would often find me sitting in my bedroom with my pen and paper, the list of children’s names as I called out the register, each child in my imagination responding. There were always the ones who were late or the ones I had to call out for twice when they didn’t respond because they were chatting. In my mind I could literally hear every voice, each one was different. And then after the register, there would always be a lesson. I would read a book or ask some questions on a subject, maybe Science or Maths, usually from my own books from school. It didn’t matter what it was, I was lost in my imagination, I was the teacher. As I got older desires to be a teacher turned into desires to be a barrister. Law fascinated me… I loved to watch crime programmes or forensic files, murder mysteries, all the TV crime dramas. The Bill and Midsomer Murders were my particular favourites and part of my weekly viewing schedule. And films… give me a good old psychological thriller any day of the week! Admittedly, at some points, I would watch them behind the safety of a pillow and I would often find myself walking with my eyes in the back of my head if I was ever outside and alone in the dark, but I loved them! The only problem was, the older I got, the more my confidence diminished and desires to become a barrister were quickly replaced with the belief that I would NEVER be able to stand up in a courtroom and talk.
When I think about this now, sitting here writing this blog post I can’t help but smile. Oh, how things have changed over the last few years. And when I ask myself the question of how things have been able to change, there is one word that rings out loud and clear in my mind… BELIEF.
After years of limiting myself with the belief that I was not good enough, confident enough, funny enough, outgoing enough, pretty enough, chatty enough, interesting enough, talented enough or skinny enough, I have been able to make conscious efforts towards the direction of what’s true in my heart purely by challenging myself to believe that I am good enough. That I am confident. I am funny. I am outgoing. I am beautiful. I am chatty. I am interesting, and that I am talented.
Looking at it on the page, black text across the white brightness of my laptop screen, it seems so simple. And even now, as I type out the list of those positive affirmation statements I find myself saying, ‘Nicola, you were all of that from the start’. But yet I didn’t believe it, and some days even now I have to make a bit more effort to convince myself, but hey, I’m human and we all have our off days. But the purpose of this post is not for me to share my victory in overcoming my battle to believe in myself, instead, it is to share 20 valuable lessons that I have learnt on my journey in the pursuit of self-belief.
Again, these lessons are simple. But for me, once upon a time, they were unimaginable. In daring to believe I have opened up my mind and my life to so many new and wonderful experiences, and lessons which empower me to keep striving forwards. One of the greatest things about lessons is that they are made to be shared, so here they are, 20 lessons from a girl who dared to believe…
1. Be DETERMINED! 💪🏻
2. Become so READY to show the world all that you’ve got to offer that you have to do a double take to check that it is YOU that’s looking back at you in the mirror! 🙌🏻
3. Be ferocious in the pursuit of your DREAMS! 🦁
4. Get so EXCITED about the POSSIBILITY that you can see and hear the adventure in your mind when you close your eyes! 🌍
5. FOCUS... purposefully direct your energy in the direction that you want to go! ➡️
6. Don’t look back, you’re not going that way! 🤦🏻♀️
7. Appreciate experience and memories for the learning they provide, NEVER used them an excuse to hold you back! 🤓
8. CELEBRATE everything!!! Big, medium or small! If it’s a win, f***ing own it! Give yourself the acknowledgement you deserve 👏🏻
9. LOVE always, and even if it hurts appreciate that you once had it and how wonderful it felt💖
10. LAUGH a lot, even sometimes if you don’t know why 😂
11. SMILE every day, at everybody! Let everyone see your smile 😊
12. Practice GRATITUDE, you never realise just how much you’ve got until something is taken away. Don’t wait that long to say thank you for all the things you already have 🙏🏼
13. Forget perfect, strive to be HUMAN! 🤪
14. BELIEVE in MAGIC ✨
15. Search not for the answers without, but instead, open yourself up to hear the ANSWERS WITHIN 😌
16. TRUST your instincts, your heart always knows what’s best for you ❤️
17. Say YES more than you say no! Life is for living! Sometimes you’ve just got to check for rocks, take off your shoes and jump straight in... you’ll find what’s at the bottom when you get there ✅
18. Choose HAPPY 😃
19. READ every day, LEARN lots 📚
20. Never settle for what someone tells you are going to be, instead SET YOURSELF GOALS and SMASH THEM 🌟
If in reading this you have recognised that you have your own limitations that you wish to overcome then take a look at Nicola Codling Coaching on Facebook and contact me to see how I can support you to replace those limiting beliefs with empowering ones.
And don't miss out in joining up to my subscription list for messages straight to your email inbox.
Everything you can imagine is possible for you. Don’t you think it’s about time you embraced your greatness and started living your dreams?